Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Ideal Candidate? Is it YOU?


Lately I've been doing a lot of mock interviews. During these practice sessions, I ask students to share with me the questions they plan to ask during an interview. After all, an interview is a two-sided conversation, where you should have some questions prepared to ask as well as the interviewer.

No, I don't have the answers to students' questions, but I can evaluate their queries, letting the student know if each question is one that should or should not be asked. As we consider their questions, I am often asked about my favorite question to ask in an interview. My go to question is some sort of variation of this one (I've used it more than once, and I've gotten the job):

Would you please describe the ideal candidate for this position?

Or some variation of this like What does it take for an employee to be successful in this position? How would you describe an ideal employee? Questions like these let you know what it is that the employer is seeking...what fits.

I've been on hiring committees for lots of positions in the over 25 years of my professional career. I can count on one hand though, and it's less than five, the candidates who have used this question and the employer's response to their advantage. For, after the employer answers your ideal candidate question, then it's your turn to sell yourself. Let's say a recruiter replies she seeks a skilled problem solver, a strong communicator, a team player and someone with leadership experience.

When the hiring manager finishes this description, you reply, "You mentioned you are looking for a problem solver. Just last week in a group project, I had to put my problem solving skills to work,.."(going on to describe what you did). "I feel like I've been able to develop my communication skills this year in my senior design project where we have to make presentations at least every 3 weeks. And, for the entire time I've been at Virginia Tech, I've played on intramural teams, where I currently serve as the captain of my basketball team..." and go on and share what that involves. You get the picture. Demonstrate to the employer how you fit the ideal. That's what they want to know. Who fits what we are looking for the best?

If the employer shares an ideal quality or experience that you don't have, you just don't mention it, or you can talk about what a quick learner you are with a specific example where you had to understand something at a fast pace.

Another good strategy with a question is to let an employer know you've done research in your question. "I read about your new office in Raleigh, NC. Would I have the opportunity to work in this position there? What are your plans for that location?" This proves to the employer you are genuinely interested in the opportunity and in the organization.

If you need more ideas for questions to ask in an interview, visit our website. Be sure you have a fair amount of questions to ask, as some may be answered by a recruiter as they describe a position and the organization before you have a chance to ask them.

In your next interview, go prove how you fit by discovering the employer's ideal.

What's your go to question in an interview? Let us know if you have a new one to add to our list.

No comments:

Post a Comment