Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2015

3 Parting Questions for Recruiters at Career Fairs

Within the next few weeks, there are 3 on-campus career fairs : Connection Job Fair and Myers Lawson School of Construction Fair on Tuesday, October 20, and Civil and Environmental Engineering Fair on Tuesday, Oct. 27. As you get ready for these fairs, here are 3 questions to be sure you ask before you leave an employer’s booth.

The Ideal Candidate?

How would you describe your ideal candidate for this position? This is one of my favorite questions to ask in interviews. Career fairs aren't interviews, you may think. And yet, the brief time you have with a recruiter at a career fair really is a mini interview. I like the ideal candidate question because you can hear what the employer is looking for and figure out how you fit. When the employer finishes describing her ideal, then it’s time for you to speak up and share how match that ideal. Not sure what I mean?

Let’s say the employer says, they seek someone with customer service skills, leadership experience and strong communication skills. Then I could jump in and say, “You mentioned you would like someone good at customer service. I feel like I’ve been able to grow those skills in my role as a server, salesperson and teller in the various part-time positions I’ve held. And, for the past year, I was the leader of my 30-member study abroad group where I had to act as both a resident advisor, event planner and mediator. I feel like I’m building both my oral and written communication skills in my classes where I’ve had to write several research papers and also make presentations of my findings.” In an interview an employer is looking for the best fit. This question about their ideal allows you to prove how you fit.

Are you interviewing?

Before you leave your conversation with an employer at a career fair, be sure to inquire about next steps. Many employers stay after the day following a career fair to interview students. Ask an employer when they plan to do interviews. By asking, you might have the chance to talk to them the next day. If they’re not staying to interview, ask if they are returning to campus later this fall. Some employers do, as on-campus interviewing continues until December. To view on-campus interview opportunities, login to Hokies4Hire and read more about on-campus interviews here.


May I have your business card?

Finally, don’t depart an employer’s booth at a career fair until you have contact information for the employer. Ask for a business card. If the recruiter doesn’t have one, ask for an email address or phone number so you will be able to follow up. Follow up is key to success in your search for a job or internship.



SUCCESS!!! Ensuring you ask these 3 questions as you talk to employers at career fairs can make for better results as you attend career fairs.  Come see us in Career Services if you want help to improve your performance at career fairs and in interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment